Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Squeaky Clean


For this project, we were required to use nontraditional art materials.  I decided to use rubber bands because I had a large 1/2 pound bag of them at home.  After thinking through some ideas, I decided to make a rubber duck out of rubber bands.  (Cute right?)  I used the idea of twilling to curl rubber bands of different colors and sizes into small swirls.  I glued these down until they formed the shape of a duck.  This was a struggle because the rubber bands were very hard to work with, especially the thin ones.  I quickly ran out of usable ones and had to find more.  After weeks of endless glue gun burns and frustration, I finally finished the duck.  For the background, I decided that since it was a rubber duck, he needed a bubble bath.  I covered up the duck and blew bubbles mixed with food coloring to create colorful bubbles.  I had to experiment with this effect to figure out the best way to get an actual bubble shape, not just splatters from the bubbles popping.  This turned out to be a mess, but I finally decided to cut out some of the best bubbles and glue them to my background as well to create a layering affect.  If I could do anything different, I would've not chosen rubber bands (because I do not like them anymore) and I would've tried to find a way to make the glue less visible on the final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment